SAL-VA-TION: by grace

E-LEV-EN: children from 1984 to 2006

HOME-SCHOOL-ING: since 1990

DOWN-SYN-DROME: susie and gabe

GRAND-CHILD-REN: since 2010

FAITH-FUL-NESS: my steadfast rock, my biggest supporter, my leader, my friend, my love, my husband

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Are boys and girls different?

Only psychologists, philosophers, and ostriches would ask this question. If you are a parent or a teacher or have your eyes open you know the answer is YES, YES, YES THEY'RE DIFFERENT! Like night and day, fast and slow, big and small, country and city, boys and girls are different.

But some boys and some girls are REALLY different. We have one son who fits in the far-removed-from-feminine category. From the early months we joked that he came with a double dose of testosterone. He's just one of those kids that people call "all boy". (I don't think I want to know what it is to be only "part boy", but that's beside the point.)

If you're one of those scientific-research-give-me-proof types I have a few observations to strengthen the hypothesis.

Example #1--Falling off of a bike

Exhibit A Today my daughter fell off of her bike and came in screaming at the top of her lungs with mild abrasions on her elbow and knee. Screaming--typical girl behavior. Abrasions—simple, appropriate result of a fall.

Exhibit B Last week my boy-boy came in after a fall off of his bike. He didn't make a sound, he just walked in and stated, "I flipped off my bike and look what happened." (Also, check out the socks.)




Example #2--Eating

Exhibit A I have never had reason to photograph a daughter's seating area at the dinner table. The plate is on the table, the food is on the plate.

Exhibit B I couldn't resist capturing this image. Notice that there are three pieces of bread (he forgot he already had two, got another one, and used a new topping), notice the variety of condiments going onto one sandwich--peanut butter, jelly, mustard, and meat, notice how much of the food is NOT on the plate (including the meat), notice that one piece of bread is sitting on a wet dishrag, notice the melon rind used under everything to artistically tie it all together. Notice how it just screams "BOY!".





Dear Owen,
Thank you for all of the wonderful boy moments you bring to my life. You are unique, seventh son.

6 comments:

kristi noser said...

As the mom of an "all boy" boy, I know of what you speak. I send kudos to Owen for the pants rippage (and snaps for the sock choice) and prayers to you for much needed patience.

Keelie said...

So this is what I have to look forward to. I'm already feeling the "all boy" in Caedmon. Thanks for the preparation!:)

Anonymous said...

Cindy you have such a witty way with words. I'm glad Chet introduced me to your blog. Thanks for all the laughs...aside from the blog where Lisa couldn't remember Robert's name, this one has to take the cake. The photos always help too:)
Kaitlin

Keithslady said...

Hi Kaitlin! Glad you enjoyed it, I get plenty of laughs I figure I might as well share the joy.

Anonymous said...

Loved the post on boys!

So here's my recent boy story for your reading pleasure. Two of my 4 boys, ages 5 and 7, were sitting next to each other at a restaurant last week. They were taking turns pinching each other and then asking "did that hurt?" This went on for a couple of turns until the five year old got goofed up and pinched himself. He then asked the 7 year old "did that hurt?" The 7 year old looked at him and said, "you were supposed to pinch me!" From there it proceeded to go to hitting each other on the head and asking "did that hurt?" - at which time we figured it was good to call a halt to the entire episode!

Boys are fun!!

Lisa from southern WI

Keithslady said...

Thanks for the story, Lisa. I just love that he pinched himself and STILL asked if it hurt!