SAL-VA-TION: by grace

E-LEV-EN: children from 1984 to 2006

HOME-SCHOOL-ING: since 1990

DOWN-SYN-DROME: susie and gabe

GRAND-CHILD-REN: since 2010

FAITH-FUL-NESS: my steadfast rock, my biggest supporter, my leader, my friend, my love, my husband

Monday, June 28, 2010

Welcome, Unwelcome

David came home, for good, from his military tour in Afghanistan about a week and a half ago. Last Friday his family threw a welcome home party for him. This is the beaming face that's been floating through our home (when we get a rare glimpse of it) these days. Her joy expresses my own, which comes from seeing her so very happy.


David reluctantly dressed up in his military best for some photos in front of the sign in the front yard. I realize they're a bit repetitious--including the sign with the different groups--but I want Chris to be able to see his family and extended family. Chris, awaiting his orders for an overseas tour himself, was the only sibling missing (and sorely missed) on this happy day.

The Towle Family


With the Grandpa, Grandma, and Uncle Tim


With Papaw and Mamaw


A nice-sized group of people came together to honor David and they were spread over the grounds enjoying conversations and various activities.




























I tried to get in on some conversations, catch up with out of town guests, relax...However, I had to keep up with Gabe! My little tornado is mellowing some (precious little some it seems at times) but not in a new place with LOTS going on. He had to explore it ALL. First the porch, then the dog, then the games, then the dog, into the garden, up on a boat, back to the games, then the dog...until I was worn out.



















After 4 hours of running, getting him to eat a few bits of food and even swallowing one or two myself I was running out of steam. Gabe was having the time of his life, but he was not quite as welcome as David was that evening. I kept hearing, "Gabe, go to Mama," "Get out of there, Gabe," "Mom! Can you get Gabe?" The last straw came when I took Gabe into the house to use the bathroom. I walked into the bathroom, shut the door, turned around to lock it, and heard the sound of running water. Somehow tornado-man became superman and "faster than a speeding bullet" that boy stepped into the shower and turned it on full blast--fully clothed.


While I, as much as anyone, was happy to see David home safe and sound I was also pretty happy to get Mr. Unwelcome home from the Welcome Home party!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute and well-said Mom!

Mrs. Nichole J. said...

Awe!!!!
What a story to tell though! Love the getting into the shower part! :-D Sounds like he is a firecracker for SURE! :-D

Keelie said...

Oh Aunt Cindy! I don't know how you do it! I'm tired for you! I won't even count how many years there are between us and my daughter tires ME out!!! My sister watched me run after her for the couple days she was here and told me that was why I'm so skinny! I think I wouldn't mind some extra fat sometimes!:)