SAL-VA-TION: by grace

E-LEV-EN: children from 1984 to 2006

HOME-SCHOOL-ING: since 1990

DOWN-SYN-DROME: susie and gabe

GRAND-CHILD-REN: since 2010

FAITH-FUL-NESS: my steadfast rock, my biggest supporter, my leader, my friend, my love, my husband

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Impervious

I was looking for a synonym for "unaffected" for the title of this post. I thought "unmoved" was good, but liked "impervious" the best. One of the entries, however, was "cold fish" and made me wonder if that's really what I am....

Here's my story. Yesterday I was cleaning out and reorganizing the pantry. I was sweeping and leaned over to pick up a larger than dust bunny sized object. It wasn't until I stood up and held my hand in the brighter light that I realized I was holding this:



I thought, "Oh yuck, it's a dead mouse," in the most casual manner and dropped it into the the trash bag. Then I thought again, and this time my thought was, "I'm getting old." There are three very specific reasons that I thought that.

1) About 2-3 weeks ago there was a very bad smell in the pantry. I kept checking the refrigerator for a forgotten piece of meat and, when I couldn't find anything suspicious, I decided that some critter must have died in the pantry. And I went about my life. If I'd been younger I'd have turned that room upside down looking for the deceased. But, I just didn't have the gumption to assert myself.

2) I couldn't see well enough in the shadows to recognize that the oversized dust bunny was actually a dead mouse! It was a good sized one at that, and my dimming eyesight did not pick it out.

3) I didn't flinch, scream, or even fling the thing. I was..not..bothered that I was holding a dead mouse, in my bare hand! Not bothered a bit. That was strange.

I have reached a new level of mellow that I didn't think was possible to attain.

7 comments:

Joey said...

LOL! That is completely nasty and amazing all at the same time. I am very impressed! I doubt I'll ever reach that level of mellowness, but I'm sure Joey wouldn't mind if I did! :) -Jamie

Keithslady said...

I never would have thought it possible. Coley saw the picture, too, and can hardly stand thinking about it. It's got to be an age/experience thing.

Joey said...

Yeah... I pull up my shoulders, make a quiet "houah" type noise and twitch my head every time I see that picture! I can't imagine touching that with my bare hands! Seeing it is bad enough! I'm with Coley on this one! -Jamie

Keelie said...

I think it must come from years of raising boys! I'm not looking forward to the mischief my son may have with his mommy in the coming years! I need to reach the point that you're at NOW! I remember one of the first years of church camp and coming out of my cabin to find a dead snake...not a pretty sight...me or the snake!

Keithslady said...

You know, it could also be that I was just so tired I wasn't reacting to much of anything. And Keelie, my boys have not played boy-pranks on me--thankfully. I think they probably knew that if I didn't appreciate it then they, in turn, would not be happy!

Keithslady said...

Or maybe they just love me so much they don't want to see me in distress.

Marcia Wilwerding said...

I just have one question: did you wash your hands?

MW