SAL-VA-TION: by grace

E-LEV-EN: children from 1984 to 2006

HOME-SCHOOL-ING: since 1990

DOWN-SYN-DROME: susie and gabe

GRAND-CHILD-REN: since 2010

FAITH-FUL-NESS: my steadfast rock, my biggest supporter, my leader, my friend, my love, my husband

Friday, February 13, 2009

The teenage brain

My favorite parenting book, Ted Tripp's "Shepherding a Child's Heart", describes teenagers as "half baked". Meaning that they have adult thought processes and can handle reasoning, but that process doesn't always come to completion as an adult's would/should.

I now have two favorite examples of this.

#1--Several years ago while having a conversation about something that had been written by an older pastor concerning modesty and lust my 16 year old son asked,
"What would a 70 year old man know about lust?"

#2--This one was added yesterday. Pulling into a parking spot my 14 year old son looked at the open handicapped spots and asked,
"Do they give everyone a pass for the handicapped parking when they turn 50?

No comments: