SAL-VA-TION: by grace

E-LEV-EN: children from 1984 to 2006

HOME-SCHOOL-ING: since 1990

DOWN-SYN-DROME: susie and gabe

GRAND-CHILD-REN: since 2010

FAITH-FUL-NESS: my steadfast rock, my biggest supporter, my leader, my friend, my love, my husband

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Lost in Translation

Why is it that Moms are supposed to understand the meaning of all things unintelligible?
The baby is crying and everyone looks to me and asks, “What’s wrong? What does he need?” This must be because I’m not actually hearing a cry. I’m hearing, “Please change me, I’m wet,” or, “Mother dear, it’s too cold, do get me an extra blankie.”

This continues into childhood. Yesterday, Lisa (5) came to me and said, “I have a little, it’s not big, they’re mine, they’re really short, and Owen wanted one.” Of course, there was no explanation necessary. It was all clear as a bell to me.

But it doesn’t even stop there. Last week I asked Keith where I could find his laptop computer. “It’s downstairs on top,” was all he said. I knowingly replied, “Certainly! If you need me any time in the next several hours I’ll be downstairs searching ‘on top’!” He chuckled and added, “You know, on the bookcase!”

Ahhh..... Now that I have Kidspeak down I’ll have to brush up on my Husbandese.

4 comments:

MaryLu said...

Oh, husbandese, I'm still working on that one.
"on top" too funny!

Kate said...

I am still trying to figure out what Lisa said? With twin 6 year olds, I would think I could figure it out?!?

Keithslady said...

Don't feel bad, I don't know what any of them said! Whatever Lisa was talking about it was something Owen wanted. Must have been candy.

Keelie said...

I feel SO MUCH BETTER knowing a mother of eleven can still be totally lost by her children's cries/words/jibberish! My in-laws came down to visit us in the hospital the day after I had Caedmon. One of the many times he started crying, my mother-in-law asked me what he wanted. You're kidding me right?! I just met this little guy and I'm already supposed to be an expert on his cries?! I'm still not sure. My husband seems to understand his cries more often than I do - guess I'm slow!